Soft Shut in (Choke in open position)
1. When any indications are observed, while drilling, that the well may be flowing, stop rotating the drill string, raise the drill string with pumps on until tool joint is above the drill floor.
2. Stop pumps and check for flow, if positive:
3. Open choke line HCR valve.
4. Close BOP.
5. Close choke. If the choke is not a positive closing choke then close a valve downstream of choke.
6. Call supervisors and commence plotting a graph of shut in drill pipe pressure. Check pit volume gain.
1. If there is an indication of swabbing and the well flows during a flow check proceed as follows.
2. Set the slips.
3. Install full opening safety valve (Kelly cock).
4. Close safety valve.
5. Open choke line HCR valves.
6. Close BOP.
7. Close choke.
8. Call supervisor and check pressures.
9. Install inside blowout preventer (Gray valve or Non-Return Valve).
10. Open safety valve.
11. Reduce annular preventer pressure and start stripping drill pipe in the hole.
Note: Choke in open position while tripping.
With a swabbed kick there are four options:
1. Strip back in hole.
2. Perform a volumetric bleed.
3. Bullhead kick back into formation.
4. Perform off bottom kill then return to bottom and circulate well to desired mud weight.