As we mentioned in the Rig Audit Article, rig inspection is an important process that shall be done from time to time. Especially, after the rig moving to a new drilling location. Here we have collected drilling & workover rig inspection & maintenance checklists for onshore and offshore rigs ( including jack up rigs & according to API and Osha recommendations).
Please Subscribe with your e-mail to get the latest drilling articles and job vacancies
Also please take in your consideration that various items on these checklists are shaded grey. (this is an INDICATION ONLY of items that are LESS safety-critical to check). Therefore, by default, the remaining items are the more safety-critical ones.
The major rig acceptance procedures are as following:
- Prime movers acceptance inspection
- Cementing unit acceptance inspection
- Chock manifold acceptance pressure test
- Bop stack acceptance pressure & function tests
- Bop control system acceptance
- Rig floor, TDS, Drawworks acceptance (check also Top drive in drilling rig)
Checklist Content For Workover & Drilling Rig Inspection Checklist For Onshore Rigs According To API & OSHA
- Cement Retainer Plug In Oil & Gas Well Guide
- Foamed Cement Pros, Structure, Prep. & Calculations
- Cementing plugs | Wiper Top & Bottom
- Cementing Stinger Operations Procedure & Equipment
- Guide Shoe For Casing In Drilling Operations
Drilling Equipment Checklist
- Firstly, Hoisting Equipment Group: Drawworks, Rotary Table, Top Drive System, Swivel. Also, Kelly Spinner, Kelly, Kelly Drive Bushing, Crown Block, Travelling Block Hook.
- Secondly, Drill Floor Equipment Group: Drilling Instrumentation, Derrick, Casing Stabbing Board, Tuggers And Sheaves Man-Riding Winches., Survey Line.
- Thirdly, Pipe Handling Equipment Group: Pipe Spinning Wrench, Ezy-Tork, Pipe Handling Equipment, Iron Roughneck. Also, Pipe Racking System, Drill String, Drilling Subs, Fishing Tools, Power Tong, Well Testing Equipment.
- Fourthly, Drilling Rig Inspection Checklist For Mud System: Mud Pumps, Shale Shaker, Mud Cleaner, Desilter, Desander, Degasser, Centrifugal Pumps. Also, Mud Agitators, Mud Mixing System, Standpipe Manifold, Rotary Hoses, Bulk Air System, Tanks, Centrifuge, Cementing Unit.
Well Control Equipment Checklist
- Firstly, Ram Type Preventers : Ram Type Preventers, General, Pressure Test All Bop Stack‘s.
- Secondly, Annular Type Preventers : Annular Preventer, General.
- Thirdly, Gate Valves (Bop Mounted).
- Fourthly, Choke Manifold : Choke Manifold, General, Mud-Gas Separator, (Poorboy Degasser), Swaco Ultra Choke. Also, Choke Control Units (Swaco & General), Choke Remote Control Panel.
- Fifthly, Cameron Style Hub Clamps.
- Sixthly, Bop Handling Equipment: Bridge Crane.
- Seventhly, Surface Hydraulic Bop Control Unit.
- Eighthly, Diverter System.
Drilling Rig Inspection Checklist For Power Plant
Diesel Engine, Emergency Generator Set, Air Compressors / Air System Refrigerating, Air-Conditioning Watermaker, and Mobile Crane
Rig Inspection Checklist For Electrical System
Elmago Brake, Main Generators, Main Transformer, Phase Converters (Scr And Variable Frequency Drives), Main Switch Boards, Emergency Switch Boards. Also, Dc Motors, Ac Motors, Motor Control (Mcc’s And Motor Starters), Lighting System (Main), Lighting System (Emergency), Electrical Outlets Cables, Cable Trays. Also, Batteries Battery Chargers, Alarm Systems, Communication, Electric Welding, Welding Distribution, Earthing, Earth Bounding, Hazardous Areas, Miscellaneous Items
- Automatic Fire Detection System, Co/Halon System For Fire Control, Fixed Fire Extinguishing Systems, Portable Extinguishers & Fire Fighting Equipment, Breathing Apparatus.
- Also, Flammable Gas Detection, Drilling Facilities Safety, First-Aid, Emergency Procedures Manual. Also, Lifting, Handling, Accommodation, Pollution Control, Housekeeping, General Safety Items, Work Permits.
Download Workover & Drilling Rig Inspection Checklist For Onshore Rigs
Workover & Drilling Rig Inspection Checklist For Offshore Rigs Content (Can Be Used For Onshore Jack up) According To API & OSHA
Rig Inspection Checklist For Drilling Equipment And Operations
- Mast Equipment which includes the following: The mast Raising/Lowering And Rig-Up, Inspection of the mast, Derrickman’s Platform (Monkey Board – Mb). Also, Escape One And Slide, Utility Lines, General Rig Floor And Mast, Skidding Equipment
- Lifting Equipment which includes the following: Drawworks, Drawworks Brakes And Clutches, Catheads, Drilling Line, Deadline Anchor/Weight Indicator. Also, Crown Protection/Emergency Stop System Ess, Crown Block, Travelling Block And Hook, Stabbing Board
- Drilling Rig Rotating Equipment Inspection Checklist which includes the following: Rotary Table (Rt), Driller Control Instruments (Dcis) (Check also Driller Job Descriptions), Iron Roughneck Ir, Pipe Spinner Ps (If Applicable), Drill String Components (Tested As Per Api Rpg), Other Drilling Equipment, Top Drive.
- Man Riding Winch
- Tubular Handling which includes the following: tubular Lifting Equipment, tongs, slips
- Wireline Logging Equipment
- Well Control Equipment which includes the following:Surface Blowout Preventers Bop, Bop Control System, Diverter System, Choke Manifold, Valves, Kill And Choke Lines And Valves On The Side Outlets, Other Well Control Equipment
- Other Equipment: Air Compressors, Power Generation, More Checks, Fuel Handling, Transfer, Storage, Transport, Loading Hoses
- General Mud system inspection checklist includes the following: High-Pressure Mud System, General, Mud Pumps, Other High-Pressure Equipment, Low-Pressure Mud System, Mud Tank System, Solids Removal Equipment & Degasser, Chemical Mixing & Handling, Cementing System, Brine System, Bulk System
- Oil-based Mud Obm (If Applicable) includes: General, Drill Floor Area, Mud & Shaker Area, Personal Protection, Fire Protection, Electrical Earthing, Well Control With Obm
- Additional Equipment And Documents Requirements: Contractor, Bsp, Third Party Equipment
Acceptance Of Rig Accommodation, Storage And Other Areas
Accommodation & storage checklist includes: General, Offices, Living Quarters, Galley, Medical, General, Main Deck, Helideck, Cranes & Fork Lifts, Workshops & Stores, Fuel Storage
Rig Safety Equipment Inspection Checklist
- HSE Checklists includes the following: Fire Fighting Equipment, Emergency Shut Down, Personnel Lifts Belts/Baskets, Certificates, Lifting Equipment Certification And Inspection, Pressure Vessels Inspection And Certification, Manuals And Books
- Health, Safety & Environmental Concerns includes: General, Safety Management, Training – General, New Arrivals Introduction, Personnel Accounting, Communications, Contingency/Emergency Planning, Personnel, First Aid
Download Workover & Drilling Rig Inspection Checklist For Offshore & jack up Rigs